Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Left Missoula early this morning heading east on I90, next stop, Yellowstone National Park.  The drive was full of wonderful scenery; mountains, some with a dusting of snow, plains, cattle ranches, wheat fields, rivers and lakes.  Crossed the Continental Divide at about 6900 feet.   Arrived at Yellowstone about 1:00 and headed immediately to see Old Faithful.  It was a 50 mile drive thru the Park on a narrow, winding road, climbing up thru the mountains and thru some lovely meadows with elk and buffalo.  I did see two buffalo but there was no place to pull off the road to get pictures.  You just have to take my word.   The Yellowstone River runs thru the park and many people were in their waders and standing in the river fishing for some mountain fish.  There is some road construction on the way to the geyser and the delay each way was at least 30 minutes which made the trip a little slower than it should have been.

Arrived at Old Faithful, parked and followed the crowd and was fortunate to arrive about 5 minutes before the eruption.  The Geyser starts with a small blow and progresses to a much higher eruption.  Didn't go as high as I thought it would but it was well worth the trip.  Now I can scratch that off my bucket list.

Back at the hotel outside the Park I asked the front desk clerk about a good place for dinner.  He said to go about a mile down the road to a place called Rosie's.  I decided to walk as I had been in the car all day and it felt good to get out and move the bod.  Dinner was great--I had Buffalo meatloaf.  Larry says meatloaf is good to have for dinner as you can digest it better than a big steak so guess that was my reasoning and I really enjoyed it.  Now I should have a good night's rest because of the walk and the meatloaf.!!!  By the way, the Golden Eagle Pass was the real ticket.  The park entrance is $25 each day.

Tomorrow I will drive east thru the Park where they say there is the possibility of seeing more wildlife.  Maybe I will get that picture of the buffalo that eluded me today.   Hopefully, I should end up at Mt Rushmore tomorrow so be prepared for some new pictures.

Happy Trails to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment