Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kettle Falls, Washington

Leaving Ritzfield, WA in a minor rain storm I headed north to visit my brother, Bob Hale.  A fairly nondescript ride to Spokane but the next 2 hours were so scenic.  I climbed into the mountains, heading toward Canada.  Bob lives in a very small town, Kettle Falls, north of Colville and about 20 miles from the Canadian border.  I remember my grandfather telling us about his childhood in this area and how they would go to Spokane once a year.  It would take one month and everyone went, including the animals.  The mountains and trees were stunningly beautiful and this little town is nestled in a lush valley.  Not many people in the town now, mostly retired folk as the Boise Company has closed and there is very little work.  There are many farms in the area with cows and horses and the hills are full of deer, coyotes, raccoons, and bobcats. We headed to the local restaurant/tavern and had a great dinner, fresh caught salmon.  Yummy.

 Bob and Carol have recently purchased a motor home and Bob is busy fixing and repairing as they plan to do some traveling, heading south for some warmth.  They have promised they would come to Monterey.

Off again this morning after a breakfast of bacon and eggs prepared by Carol.  Today I drove east on Highway 90 and stopped in Missoula, and decided I was too tired to go much further. The drive thru the mountains of Idaho and Montana provided great scenery, especially along Lake Coeur d'alene.  Tomorrow I am going to have an experience that I have wanted to do for many years.  I am going to see Old Faithful at Yellowstone Park.  Should take me about 4 hours to drive there tomorrow and I will drive around in the Park.  A great experience for this ole traveler!!  Hope I have some pictures tomorrow!!

Happy trails to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment