Thursday, September 2, 2010

A VERY LONG DAY

I wanted to see more of Yellowstone Park so this morning I drove back in the park (saved $25 again with my Golden Eagle card) and drove east.  At the visitor center I was told that there would probably be more wild life in this part of the Park.  Along the way I did see one buffalo and a deer and was rather disappointing but in a short distance you could see herds of buffalo across the river, about a half mile away.  My little camera didn't take very good pictures of them so far away but would you believe, a few more miles down the road and a whole herd was walking along the highway.  We had to sit and wait for them to amble their way slowly down the road and head out in the meadow again.  So, I did get to see the buffalo.  Also saw herds of antelope grazing in the meadow.

This was quite a drive, going out of Yellowstone at the northeast gate, there were no signs and I just kept driving along with other tourists and drove and drove, up and down along very curvy roads, some rather tight turns and it seems like we would never come down out of the mountains.  I see on the map that we were on the Chief Joseph Highway.  Eventually I ended up in Cody, Wyoming, then east to Greybull, south to Worland and then east to Buffalo and Highway 90.  Then a straight shot to Rapid City and now I am at Mt Rushmore.  Of course, it was dark when I got here so will wait until tomorrow morning to see the "guys".  Was here 36 years ago but things have changed so much.  

After a visit to Mt Rushmore in the AM I will head east to Huron, SD for a day or two with Larry's Mom, Evelyn.  I will stay at a rental room they have at the Assisted Living Center so I will get to spend some good times with her.  Looking forward to a shorter day tomorrow, today I was driving for almost 11 and 1/2 hours.
So, a nice shower and it is off to bed for me.  Yes, I have been checking for bedbugs!!!!!

Happy Trails to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment