Friday, October 15, 2010

Corn, corn and more corn

Leaving Fairmont I headed west on I-90 to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  Need I tell you that I have never seen so much corn in my life!!!!  Fields and fields and fields of corn, now picked and dried, some fields already cut down.  Interesting driving in this area, partly along the Missouri River, which was part of the Lewis and Clark Trail.  If you remember from part of my blog in Oregon, that I had visited the end of the Lewis and Clark Trail in Seaside, Oregon.  After reaching Sioux Falls, I headed south to Omaha and then west on I-80.  I have never been on I-80 in that part of the country so decided to add it to my driving experience. Driving through Nebraska was another "corny" experience!!!  Really, the corn fields continued for mile after mile, but interesting that I crossed the South Fork of the Platte River at North Platte, Nebraska.  I did lose track of how many times I crossed the Platte River.  Spent the night in Kearney (pronounced Karney), Nebraska, which is just about central Nebraska, a town of about 30,000.  Kearney is the home of the University of Nebraska Kearney.

Forgot to mention that one of my favorite gas stations on this trip is called "Kum and Go".  Always good for a laugh.

Next morning continued on thru Nebraska and yes, there was more corn and I made a stop at an old pony express stop.  Hard to imagine that mail was delivered by horseback way back when.   My grand kids think I was alive during the days of the pony express.   As I proceeded further west toward Wyoming, the corn fields started to disappear and now there were wheat and alfalfa fields and I started seeing more cattle.  Arriving in Wyoming  thru Cheyenne and Laramie, I saw small herds of antelope along the way.  I spent the night in Rawlins and learned from people there that this area is booming with the drilling of natural gas.  Very interesting and a boom for this small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment